OFFICE OF THE COUNTY ASSEMBLY SPEAKER
Article 178(1) of the Constitution of Kenya provides that; Each County Assembly shall have a speaker elected by the County Assembly from among persons who are not members of the Assembly.
Roles of the Speaker of the County Assembly
- Article 178(2)(a) of the Constitution of Kenya provides that the Speaker shall preside over all sittings of the Assembly.
- The Assembly Standing Orders provide that the Speaker shall be responsible for maintaining order in the House
- The Speaker shall be the Chairperson of the House Rules and Business Committee which is responsible for coming up with the Assembly calendar and the Business of the day.
- The Speaker shall be the Chairperson of the committee on Appointments that is responsible for vetting and reporting on all appointments that the Constitution requires the County Assembly to approve
- The Speaker shall also be the chairperson of the County Assembly Service Board in accordance with the Sec 12(3)(a) of the County Government Act 2012
Below is a list of all the County Assembly Speakers in Kenya